Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fighting and Philosophy


Kerambits, L. to R.: Crowner, Rollert, Pippin

Even though I'm not actively involved in the silat wars online any longer, that doesn't mean I never have discussions about this, that, or the other. Martial artists exchange views, and there are a couple high-level ones I talk to now and then.


I find this useful. Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't, and as long as the expression of views stays reasonable and doesn't venture off into ad hominem attacks or my-stuff-is-better-than-yours-nyah, nyah! these conversations can be beneficial. 


I'm happy with the path I'm on, and don't feel the need to leave it for somebody else's, but I am willing to exchange views. 


I get asked a question I haven't thought much about, and I have to formulate a reasoned response. 


I hear something I've heard a thousand times before, I offer the opinion I have come to about it, and why. 


I hear something I haven't heard before, and I have to think about how it fits into what I know. Unless you are already at the top of the mountain–and I'm not–then the view along the path can vary, and you can jaunt down a side trail if it looks interesting and pick up something you might have missed otherwise, without having to jump to a different mountain. That's how it happens, at least for me. 


Always something new I can learn ...

No comments:

Post a Comment